Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Crisis Intervention

I didn't expect to find that in an article online. Deaf Survivors Blog - Where are you? Under "Interpreter updates on deaf survivors" article. An interpreter, Teri Vaughn talked about the deaf evacuees staying in Houston, and asked for donations. I wanted to know EVERYTHING what was needed, and I contacted everyone I could think of, and even had Coloradodeaf.com send out an email. I couldn't SIT on my butt and do nothing..I WANTED to do something for the deaf evacuees.... I can only imagine how it was very difficult for them, especially with losing their homes, everything, and even access to communication! My heart is for everyone who lost their homes, relatives and their possessions...

I told the crisis intervention professor about my project and she said "THAT is crisis intervention- you do not have to be there personally- but you can do what you CAN. And trust me, this is crisis intervention!" So- something new for me to learn- hands can touch each other throughout the miles.

Jules

No comments: