Sunday, January 22, 2006

Heard of 'trauma' pills?

No? I hadn't seen it on CNN, but I could be wrong, mind you. I found it on AOL news some days ago, and it persisted on my mind, thinking a lot of options, possibilities, and also cons. If you hadn't seen the article, here is the link. I hope that will lead you to the link...(trouble with links lately) http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060114130509990001&ncid=NWS000

Anyway...I have mixed feelings about this kind of pills.. I can understand for rape victims or huge trauma, however... if folks are to take pills to shelter themselves over and over, HOW can they adapt to challenges and handle the disasters in the future? For example, it was my childhood that taught me about neglect and violence. That I do not hide, I learned how to adapt, and I compare the experiences to future experiences, and go "this is nothing" compared to what I had experienced. Trauma and disaster can teach human beings HOW to adapt, how to adjust their lives, how to SURVIVE, you see? I know some folks who are VERY VERY sheltered, that when a LITTLE disaster(in one case, falling down the stairs), it was such the end of the world for them, overreacting hugely. I DO have sympathy for them, but they do not need to act like it's ahh, you know.."wah, wah, it's end of my life, I cannot walk anymore!" (in that situation, she only twisted her ankle, and yes I mean you Stacie. Don't grin in that sheepish way.) So you can see why I have mixed feelings about trauma pills.... for rape victims, perhaps, however how can they give EVIDENCE in court when they are asked to tell their experience, and hence there's the chance the rapist could walk out of court, free because the rape victim could not remember details thanks to the trauma pills? So that's a pickle for you.

No comments: