Friday, December 17, 2004

It's for you, Grandpa

I know that we hadn't talked much while I was growing up into adulthood. But I remembered your humming while holding me so hard that I could feel my ribs cracking, and your 5'0 clock shadow would rub harshly on my cheek. But I loved those hugs, because that's you. I never had gotten any criticizations, judgements, or anger from him to me as long as I could remember. I know that we couldn't talk much because I couldn't understand, but I felt strongly that our hearts communicated to each other. I had always felt peace and joy within me everytime I saw your smile and that twinkle in your lively eyes. The rumble of your voice while you talked to someone over my head while I was sitting on your lap while I was a child. I rode those tractors with you, and I loved that. I remember your sweat merged with the scent of cut wheat and oil of the tractor, and that is what I will always remember what the scent of love is for me when I think of you. I remember when the cousins and I would try to ride on that grass mower, or the red wagon while you would pull us. We would play Scrabble, cards, or other games on the table by dusk. I remember how you loved that leather armchair while watching your news or sports on the television after working on the farm. I could imagine you holding me everytime I sit on that armchair. I love you, and I already miss you.. Rest in peace.

No comments: