Thursday, March 01, 2007

Interpreters and Tattoos

Earlier today I was asked *again* by mother if I'd think about laser removal of my tattoos, and I said "NO" *again*. That reminded me of the day she found out about my tattoo and I had a quirky smile. So I thought to tell you all what happened.

It was planned for mother to stay with me while after gallbladder removal for a few days. So we all enjoyed London, England for two weeks and then she stayed here, instead of flying on to Colorado. Next day we came early to the hospital for pre-surgery preparations, and to my delight, there was an interpreter (I forgot to request one.) Me dressed in a back-open hospital gown, I was getting nervous. The doctor came in with some other staff. With the interpreter there, he was explaining how the surgery will go. Mother was in the back, so she'd not block my view of the interview.

Then the doctor said, "Don't worry,I will not touch your tattoo."

The interpreter pointed over heads, "Your mom asked, "WHAT tattoo?"

I was like "oh shit" mentally. I was preparing to say something when the doctor turned to tell mother, "she has this lovely tiny fox footprint on her stomach. Nothing for you to be upset about."

Interpreter included facial expression and "attitude" of mother, "I don't CARE.. Remove that tattoo in the surgery!"

I thought it hilarious for the doctor and mother to "argue" while the interpreter tried to keep up with them. In the end, mother backed off when I shot, "it's MY body and MY skin. Get over it!" And the interpreter even stressed how I said it!


In the end, the doctor kept his promise, he didn't touch my tattoo while giving me five nice cuts above my stomach!

4 comments:

Karen Mayes said...

I had a good laugh... thanks for sharing your story with us readers :-)

Gin said...

ROFL!!!

Sorry, Jules...but I had to laugh.

What ***IS*** it about mothers and tattoos???

I remember when my mother saw mine for the first time - she had flown to Pennsylvania to help me pack up my stuff and move back home to Indiana to help care for my dying grandfather. We were sharing a hotel room, and I was wearing a nightgown with thin spaghetti straps, which exposed my tattoo in all its celtic glory.

"Is THAT a TATTOO?!?!??"

Clearly it must have been a rhetoric question, as anyone could tell it obviously was a tattoo.

"Yes, Mom."

"How long have you had it?"

"For a while."

"Is it REAL????"

"Yes."

With that being said, my mother made a face, gave me one of "those looks", rolled over and refused to speak with me for the rest of the night. (Not that I really cared.)

She's seen it a couple of times since then, but we have long operated on the premise that certain topics shall remain unspoken between us.

Apparently tattoos is one of them.

~ Ocean
"Deaf Pagan Crossroads"

Anonymous said...

*giggle* Thanks for sharing funny story with us! :)

Karen Putz said...

I had to laugh at this one but at the same time, I'm hoping that my own kids never get a tattoo! :)