Thursday, May 10, 2007

Missions, Bays and graduate school, oh my!

Have been busy so far in California! Had gone to Morro Bay, Cambria, Elephant Seal Vista. I cannot describe what I have seen of the seals. So many seals! A lot of seals starting to molt, so it's very much seeing st. bernard dogs having chunks of fur missing, crumps of overgrown matted hair here and there! I saw a couple of male elephant seals fighting so it was very much a boxing fight! I could see far into the ocean but not the ocean horizon due to fog. Morro Bay was quite nifty. I am going kayaking there next week, so it should be interesting. Yes I had kayaked in a river before but in a bay, never had done! At this time, I'm trying to figure how to put pictures here- I forgot again. I'm using my laptop so I don't have the program in which I could transfer pictures to internet to edit into the article. Sorry! One of you'd have to feel sorry and send me the program again. *crackle*
I also saw two missions today. No, no, not "Mission Impossible" things! It's Spanish 'churches' from when Spain owned California and other states before they were even named or even owned by United States! They were very impressive to the point that I could see how important they were for the Spanish community back then, a day's journey between each mission. They represented "civilization" as well as a stable routine where one could have expected assistance with birth baptisms, weddings, funerals, last rites, politics, history, education and even teaching how to raise crops. The missions I went, had raised olives, grapes (one mission still have the original grape tree from 1779), avocades, etc. I may not be a christian but I can see how the missions were very important back then.

Oh yeah, before I complete this entry- I wish to announce- I got accepted for graduate school (Mental Health Counseling)!!! I will start this fall semester. So I'm looking forward to it! As one of my professors said after I informed her, "Now the hard work begins but you will be successful." You know what? I can't wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats and enjoy kayaking! :)