Sunday, October 21, 2007

New journey today and Homecoming at Gallaudet.

I was looking for something different to do but hadn't decided how different.I just needed a break from Gallaudet University and all the hours of studying. My new motto is "Take breaks or you will break." Many people offered ideas such as the Native American Museum at the Mall, Georgetown tattoo parlors (unique 'til you find you don't have sufficient money to get a new one), this small-known garden behind the capitol where one can peer in to see the waterfall, and other ideas. I just wanted to do something that hadn't been published. Some people know my passion for labyrinths and so one suggested one in the Dupont Circle. I went "what labyrinth in Dupont circle?" Before I go on, I am sure, readers, you are asking "what is this word labyrinth??" It is a one-way path puzzle. A classical labyrinth looks like this:
It is very much a spiritual tool, when one wants to look inward to find where they are in the path of life. It can be used as a meditation tool. Both pagans and christians use it. There is even a Greek myth about it; Theseus went into the labyrinth to kill the minotaur, with Ariadne's assistance. There are older labyrinths about 5000 years. Several churches recognize that labyrinths are useful as located at Grace Cathedral (San Franciso), Notre-dame de Chartres Cathedral (France), Christ Church Labyrinth in Alexandria, VA and so on. I will include some links at the end of this article if you are interested.
Well, I looked alllll over the internet for this labyrinth in Dupont Circle and found NOTHING. A friend gave me directions to it and la da I found it today! Here are photos:





http://www.historicchristchurch.org/spirituality/labyrinth.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth
http://labyrinth-enterprises.com/12reasons.pdf

For people who are asking me how I am hanging in there at Gallaudet, thanks for checking on me! I am doing okay. Just tired these days, studying, doing projects due here and there, studying for exams coming up soon. Yeah, Homecoming was fun, thro there was a bomb threat at the football field (from what I understand, I could be wrong) and then a fire alarm at Hall Memorial Building (HMB) that sent alumni to SAC (Student Academic Center). I noticed it because I was getting out of SAC while alumni were pouring in, and I asked what was going on. An elderly lady latched to me and poured her frustrations on me (I wondered if I had my "counselor-in-training" t-shirt on..J/K) about the fire alarm and bomb threat. I could see why she was upset and an elderly man spoke up, "with all this, we don't need Gallaudet to look more worse than it is right now, so those guys who pulled the fire alarm or bomb threats need to grow up and think of consquences that makes Gallaudet looks bad." AMEN to what he said! It wasn't all bad news, the Gallaudet football team won the homecoming game against Williamson Trade, 40-26! So did the Bison women soccer vs. Gettysburg College team. I did get to see some friends that I didn't expect to see, almost 20 years last time I saw them- how much OLDER I feel!!!! So it was a nice weekend in all, the labyrinth walk and homecoming catch-up with old friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So where IS the Dupont Circle labyrinth? *grin*

moi

Wolfers said...

Ooooo, I will have to see if I CAN tell you... I would wonder if I'd be skinned alive for exposuring the labryinth in Dupont Circle. After all, why no publication of this for years? ;) So, let me get back to you, okie dokie?

Anonymous said...

It took about 5 minutes of online searching and having to do cross references but I found it.

Amazing considering Ive been a resident of DC for about 7 years now and a regular in Dupont but then again im not a Christian nor attend church.

So for those who are interested:

St. Thomas Parish
1772 Church St. NW
Washington, DC 20036

Anonymous said...

Go to the National Museum of the American Indian if you have a chance-- I went soon after it was finished, and I was quite impressed. Their cafeteria is different as well, and the food is a cut above the other museum cafeterias.

Good luck with the rest of your first semester!