Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Silent Rituals

I learned of silent rituals while attending Emunimon(please correct me, I am suspecting I’m misspelling it) a Maryland Pagan expo/workshops in 1998 or 1999. It was nice enough of the expo to provide ASL interpreters when I asked! I looked through the schedule of workshops and I thought ‘Silent Ritual’ sounded intriguing. I attended the workshop and I immediately knew it was ideal for deaf pagans! This activity includes mime, gesturing, facial expressions and body language. It can be used anywhere, from the private home to public hotels and no one would be the wiser! The ritual does not require any tools but your own imagination.

How does it work? Pagans would know the opening ritual in which one set up a circle. Now, do it without ANY tools. Visualize the tools in your hands, imagine they are in your hands or at your feet. You can visualize the circle developing as you draw it. Elements can be ‘shaped’ with your imagination as you call upon them. I use the sign “Fire” in a musical style for the element fire; gesture crumbles of dirt breaking down and falling from my hands referring to Earth; move as if the wind was dancing with me for Air and visual Water as waves blowing upon me, all as like I am writing a poem in motion. That’s the intention of silent ritual. I know how often pagans could run forth and back trying to find specific candles, certain cauldrons, right herbs, etc for rituals they may have in mind. It can be an headache, especially if you do not have tools right now or that you’re at a place that you feel you couldn’t practice your religion in public. Gods know there are people that get frightened seeing a dagger next to a cauldron and wonder, ‘what is all this for??!” The ritual reduces the potential over-reaction of anyone who may come upon the activity. Don't have to collect this candle, this bowl, that knife, that jewelry...it's just all the body and imagination that is needed for the silent ritual.

I would love to do a video to give examples what silent rituals could look like but I don’t’ know anyone who has a camcorder. Sorry!

1 comment:

Gin said...

Smile...it's spelled ECUMENICON, from the word "ecumenical." I write a bit about Ecumenicon in my blog "Deaf-Friendly Pagan Events" - which you can find over at Deaf Pagan Crossroads (a link for this blog site can be found here, thanks to Jules!) I've attended Ecumenicon conferences a number of times, and they are always enjoyable. Contrary to popular belief, you do NOT need to be Pagan to go - Ecumenicon embraces all religious paths, and offers various workshops of interest to anyone.

I have also participated in Silent Rituals, and have taught the concept of such to a number of groups, both Deaf and Hearing. I've led such rituals at gatherings such as Heartland Pagan Festival, Gaia Goddess Gathering, and FreeSpirit Gathering. They have always been popular. The idea of connecting to the Divine in a non-verbal way appeals to many of us.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...I wholeheartedly agree that Silent Rituals can be a wonderful experience for all.

~ Ocean
"Deaf Pagan Crossroads"