Thursday, April 19, 2007

Black Mood

Warning: It's not a political rant..it's one of the days I talk what I want off my chest and if you don't like it, you don't have to read this blog. I have been in a black mood for weeks. Nothing related to what had happened this week or last week. And ah, don't run to cops thinking I was going to grab guns and shoot someone. I don't EVEN have guns in the first place, not even a weapon unless you mean this cute keyboard where I could use words as weapons to hurt someone. Frankly I am not in mood to hurt ANYONE but to lash out in general. I can sympathize with the families of students and faculty who were killed in Virginia Tech, however I have to remind people- those are not the only ones who died. There are thousands of people in United States who die from any type of cancers daily, ones who die in auto accidents, women who die in domestic violence, children killed in neglect and abuse..the list goes on. School and business shootings are actually rare. It's the damn media who makes the hype of all this- making the people hysterical thinking that EVERY college have somene trigger-happy to shoot their precious children. The students are MORE likely to die from achohol overdoses, auto accidents, drug abuse, depression(suicide)and domestic violence more than they'd experience a shooting on capmus. GET REAL! Campuses ARE still safe compared to many cities out there. It is the damned media who are overblowing all this, "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"
I get some emails from friends who say they are going to VT to sign on that VT poster to show their sympathies, and I had to bite my lips before I'd ask "Would you go to the hospital here and help reading a book to children sickened by lukemnia? Would you go to a church and work with an elderly woman who had lost her daughter to domestic violence? Will you go to a rehab hospital to work with a father who has to relearn how to walk and he lost his wife and daughter to a drunk driver?" Those are tragedies. Guess what? Media ignore what are very common and pretend that rare events (like VT massacre, Oklahoma bombing, etc) are the MAJOR DISASTERS, to PANIC and PREVENT incidents like that from happening again. Now, why can't we do that with drunk drivers? Regulating drug trafficking? Educating high school students about drug abuse and taking them to a house about to fall around their ears, mice and roaches everywhere, seeing addicts lying in their own filth, begging for another hit- to show that it's not ALL "fine". I could go on and on..but hey, it's my blog and I'm not up for oversensitive people who may think that I'm belittling the VT disaster. I'm not. I'm just TIRED of the damn media who makes all this hype, setting it up that EVERY school and EVERY campus has an insane guy with a hundred rifles ready to shoot.. GET REAL.
You know what? When they said, "be careful, you could be hit by a car someday if you don't pay attention" Guess what? I paid attention and I got hit by a car anyway and ended up with severe injuries.. What are the odds of that, hmm? I'd say less than domestic violence numbers but much much HIGHER than campus shootings. Do your damned math!
Blah... have been in a bad mood for a long while especially with someone doing remodeling in the house. Being told "you're doing nothing, lazy bum" despite I had even washed the floors on my hands and knees, washing the kitchen sink and counters with bleach and special brush for 3-4 hours and to be told that I am a "lazy brat"??!! Helping painting the walls and being told "you don't help around the house." I'm tired of coming to help people and being told "I forgot that you come in today.."(finding the door locked and no one in the office to let me in, never mind that I had driven 30 miles to go in for work) I'm tired of the damned dramas in the deaf community here- "did you hear what she did last week??! yes way!" "You'd not believe what I heard!" I'm tired of the community trying to pull each other down to high school-level. Tired of people whining to me about not being able to find jobs, never mind that THEY hadn't done anything- no resumes, not willing to develop experience, not willing to get off their asses to get a job. TIRED of all this! And to have some friends telling me "We will pray for those students who died." was the last straw for me. Why would they pray for the students when they'd not pray for the children who have seen their dads beat up their moms? Why wouldn't they pray for people who are dying of cancer, AIDS, diseases and other conditions that will lead to death? Why aren't they demanding for more protection from drunk drivers? Why is it that people act they are immortal, thinking nothing will happen and act as if they are betrayed when they get slammed with a cream pie that reads "Get REAL!"
I'm going off. I have an headache.

1 comment:

abc said...

VERY well stated!! I share your wonder at the media, ignoring the fact that hundreds of thousands of people attend colleges around the country, and graduate having never experienced a mass murder on campus. Certainly, violence SELLS in this country!

Another issue that bothers me is all the attention/blame to using a firearm. Good grief!! The point is, he killed a lot of people! Does it matter that they died of gunshots, car wreck, drug overdose or an "IED - Improvised Explosive Device" (I almost typed IEP - but that's a Freudian slip for another Blog) Why is there so much attention on his being able to buy a gun? Why not question the Mental Health Authorities who gave him a screening and sent him back to campus??? I say that as a Mental Health professional myself -if I saw a person with as many obvious signs of potential violence as Mr. Cho, I would RESIGN rather than just send him out of the office with a prescription for something he may never take again!!

Nice job on this -- you hit some sensitive nerves with me, and I hope with other people too...