Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Perils of interpreters through family!

I want to talk about two incidents I went through. They may be considered hilarious, sad or frustrating, depending on your interpretation! Take your pick!

It was more than fifteen years ago when my grandpa died of heart complications. I was relieved when the family said, "don't worry. We got an interpreter for the memorial\funeral." Whewww! At the church, I was waiting for the memorial's start. Mother rushed up to me with a stranger in which she introduced, "This is Lisa, who will interpret." (It isn't her real name, I don't remember anymore.) The memorial was to start in a few minutes. Lisa and I sized each other up and I signed, "hello. How are you?" She went "slow-slow!" Uh oh..... Red flag!

I then voiced as I signed, "Do-you-know-how-to-sign?" She brightened up and said, "yes, I am learning how to sign! I interpret at a church!" Another red flag. I grimaced mentally while smiling at her politely. I knew if I made a scene, the family'd NEVER let me live it down, especially on the day of the family pateriach's funeral! Oh joy...... During the memorial, the 'interpreter' signed much as she can, with a LOT of fingerspelling that caused exhaustion for me, trying to figure what she was saying! Another red flag....

It was a cousin behind me who felt sorry that he gave me a written transcript, oh THANK YOU!!! I remember when the minister was leading in prayers when the interpreter signed something I NEVER had ever SEEN in my life and I'd hope I'd never see again! Thankfully I am somewhat a good lipreader so I know what she was saying with that sign. This sign goes this way (sorry, I don't even have high-speed so I can't do a vlog): a stabbing on one hand, then stabbing on another hand forcefully! She said "Jesus Christ" and I was wincing at the visual, violent stabbing of hands......OUCH. I decided not to go for the burial memorial because I didn't want more "scenes" by this interpreter. I managed to convince the interpreter that I am fine by myself so she'd go away. After cousins came back from the burial memorial, most said, "did you even understand her? I didn't!" I said, "neither did I except for that sign...." And someone said "that I understand right, she meant crufication of Jesus Christ? We didn't talk about it at the memorial!" Some older relatives overheard and told mother. Naturally she said to me, "you should have told me!" I said, "oh yeah, right as the memorial started?" with a sarcastic expression.

Three years ago, my other grandpa was killed by a truck. So I went for the memorial\funeral. Before I went, I said to family, "I want a certificated interpreter. Not someone who is just learning to sign!" So I was reassured that it won't happen again. Harumph.... I'll believe that when I see it!

We went to the church. A young woman was already waving at me. (Guess someone told her it was me before I got through the door.) She introduced herself, and I thought, "hmmmm, not so bad."
I signed and then she said, "can you use your voice too? I don't know those signs." I was like "........ Not again" mentally. I voiced as I signed bluntly, "where do you sign? Do you interpret? Do you work with deaf? How did you know about this memorial?" What she signed, I then immediately knew..... SEE! Signed Exact English. I hadn't seen SEE for two decades! She explained she works with deaf children, for an oral program with SEE if absolutely necessary. She is the next door neighbor's son's girlfriend's cousin..... Figures. Of course, I only caught 20% of what she signed and I was pissed.

After the memorial, I was asked if I wanted to go to the burial, and I said no thanks. I convinced this 'interpreter' to go (didn't I do this before?) A few minutes later, before mother and family left, she wanted to introduce me to a nurse that worked with an ill uncle. The nurse signed! BEAUTIFUL ASL, very native-signing! I was like "WTF! I could have had her for interpreting!" The nurse said that she did offer, but they felt the young woman needed the pay and to be close to her boyfriend, the next door neighbor's son who came to the funeral.... I couldn't decide whether to cry or laugh hysterically.

I learned three things from those:
1) find certificated interpreting services and have family stick to that for funerals (and weddings);
2) be firm with family, don't go for "next door neighbor\third cousin\friend's friend's friend\grandniece's daughter's" interpreters, no matter how cheap they are!
And
3) SEE and ASL aren't the same, ladies and gentlemen!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way to go is to book the interpreter yourself. You know who the local interpreters are. If the event is out of town, find the agencies yourself and call through them.

Hearing families are so used to their deaf members that they don't know the community resources, and in times of grief, can't be expected to know the fine nuances of interpreting. You're right, that is not the time to get assertive! Be proactive instead.

On the other hand, occasionally I have attended weddings, funerals and baptisms knowing there would be no interpreter, since my presence would mean a lot to the people there. That alone is worth passing up the misery of a poor interpreter.

The expense of the interpreter can be a burden, so if the subject of the event is not a close person or interpreting would not really matter to you, it is often easier to pass on the interpreter and save them the cost. Consider it a gift to the celebrant or a honor to the deceased.

When it is important to your own participation such as grieving for a close relative, the interpreter is vital to one's feeling of closure and sharing with other family members.

Lantana said...

I just wanted to mention that I carry 5 personal business cards of various interpreters in our area, so that if we/the family ever need one for a family event (such as a funeral) I always have someone to call right in my purse.

When my grand daughter graduated from high school she told the school that she needed an ASL interpreter for her grandma and they provided a wonderful one, who had to stand outside on the stage in 105 degree heat! I sent the interpreter a gift later to show her my appreciation!

Lucky for me, the loud speakers,the amps, etc. were "tented" just below the stage so that is where I sat, in the shade, and with a perfect view of the interpreter. No one else could stand the noise!

Lantana

Wolfers said...

That's a wonderful idea, Lantana- to have business cards for interpreting services! I hadn't thought of that. It isn't easy for me to contact interpreting services through phone because *gasp* most family in a midwest state don't use computers or even possess one that even have internet! I have to bring my laptop everytime I come visit family.In my own state, I know several interpreting services and could contact one by email without problem. I will see if I can look whether there is interpreting services in this small city and ask them to recommend certified interpreters for future funerals/weddings. Splendid idea!
In all, Dianrez, of 30+ funerals/weddings in all my life, I only asked for an interpreter for two funerals (my grandpas). There would be an interpreter at my brother's wedding, I was told, but that I was in hospital at that time, not even able to fit in a car with two legs in casts, wearing a neckbrace. That's life. :)