Saturday, September 29, 2007

Just found out about A.G Bell in Colorado

Reading some blogs on Deafread.com, I was startled to find that there is an A.G Bell conference in Colorado right now. Too bad I'm over here in Washington D.C, or I'd be marching around at the hotel. Harumph... I looked up who are sponsors or would be there at the conference, and I wasn't surprised to find Carson Elementary as well as Marion Downs Hearing Center on the conference information.
I was a student at Carson Elementary. Two things I'll say about Carson Elementary is: 1) they kept us SO sheltered, SO ignorant that we didn't even know about sign language, or existence of deaf culture; which led me to freak out when I was put in a manual program later, thinking the deaf signing students WEIRDOs when it was really me who was the freak. Sad, eh? And 2) despite not experiencing any kind of physical punishment as discussed by other people who tried to sign in oral programs, I had a lot of anxiety attacks because I'd never know when I'd be put up in the front of class to repeat and repeat saying the word over and over until I get it right and that was very humilating. I had met too many people who grew up from Caron Elementary to find that they are more comfortable using ASL, and pissed that they didn't find the Deaf culture until WAY LATER. I DO understand that the school thinks it is best for deaf children to be involved in the hearing world, but on the other hand, to tell us, "it's your fault if you don't speak or hear. your parents don't do good work, you, you, you, yours, yours," not taking responsbility on THEMSELVES; the teachers, the speech therapists, the audiologist in the school. I had seen too many students disappear from school, and have the teachers tell us "see, if you don't do good, you're out of here." Wait a frigging minute! If that is how they imply it, I'd RATHER go somewhere where we can be a team, instead of a group vs one, ..Oh wait. I already left.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to Carson Elementary School, I didn't realize that they still have the program there today. Wow, unbelievable! I was there in 70's.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing your story. I can relate to some of it. However I was mainstreamed - not in a deaf oral school - so I didnt have to deal with the sadistic Nurse Ratched behavior you described. More power to you for getting out and finding your true self!

I honestly believe that forced oralism is a form of child abuse.
You and your classmates may have grounds for a class-action lawsuit, IMHO.

Thanks again for your story. I'd love to see more oral school survivor stories like yours... anyone else out there want to add to this?

Best regards,
Drolz

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I had my good and bad days at Carson. There was one teacher named Mrs. Reese, she was a horrible teacher, hellbent on trying to make us very obedient. She had the point system where she could measure our behavior, if we were good, she would mark it next to our names, if we were bad, she would take it off. I remember focusing on that point system, nevertheless, I learned nothing in her class.

Carson was a school that contained deaf and hearing students, the hearing students were on the other part of the wing and we were enclosed on one full wing. I was mainstreamed for a reading class, I was bawled out by my deaf resource teacher because I didn't raise my head to ask questions. Of course I was too afraid to do that as I knew I would be misunderstood and would have to repeat the question to the hearing class. I didn't like that class.

I had forgotten about Carson as I only spent about 2-3 years in that school as we had moved there from Evans School.

Jules, did you have Mrs. Reese? If you want to contact me offline, you can send me an email message about Carson.

Wolfers said...

Michele- I don't even remember teachers names because I don't WANT to remember. It is very much a "blank" when I think of Carson elementary but for some images like standing in front of classes and being forced to say word again and again. There is an incident I barely remember; very much a haze of being dragged by arm by a blonde teacher to the audiologist that day who would test my recognition of words- you know, her saying words while covering her mouth, and me to hear and figure what she said. I was upset that day and I was very much a "dead weight" so the teacher had to drag me across the hall to the audiologist's office.
And for you, Michelle- I don't know your email address. :( I don't even remember anyone named Michelle- I only remember Renell, Marti, Rachel, Donnie, Steve, Shawn, Jennifer- know them?

Anonymous said...

yes, it would be real nice if you had the chance to join in the demonstration in Denver over the recent weekend. I believe the community there is continuing its actions and building their team so you have a chance to join them and transform the Deaf education system in Colorado. Your sharing experiences like you did here is important. Check out the Colorado Association of the Deaf. Get in touch with its president, Jennifer Pfau, and I am sure she will introduce you to other people.

Anonymous said...

Hi again,

I agree with Ella, get involved with this movement, we will be empowered to help deaf children more than ever.

I went to Carson in 70's, the names that you mentioned do not seem familiar to me, perhaps you may be a lot younger than I am, (lol). I am sorry to hear about your negative experiences at Carson, it should not have happened in the first place. But life has to go on and we can always find ways to improve things for our future generation. You can see my email address when I send you my comment -- I would feel uncomfortable advertising my email address so hope you can see it -- feel free to contact me if you want to ask me questions about Carson or not.